Sunday, April 5, 2009

File Transfer Protocol - Capitalization matters.

File Transfer Protocol task


For the ftp task firstly I had to download the ftp client Filezilla. Then I was asked to ftp to recall.curtin.edu.au which was quite simple and straightforward, and once there was required to find the README file.

After browsing through a couple of the folders I was able to find the file without much of a problem and according to the README file : Capitalization matters.

Found ftp to be very interesting, feels like I’m hacking into someone’s system and is quite an easy way to access and copy files from one computer to another over a network. Filezilla reminds me a bit of some other Peer to Peer programs such as Soulseek, in which you can explore User folders for anyone that is online to see if there are any files or live music sets in their system worth downloading. *I don’t personally use this program anymore as I may or may not have heard whispers that sharing music over the web might just be considered a tiny bit illegal nowadays.*
I have often stumbled upon URLs with ftp:// at the beginning and always wondered why those sites would display in a folder format more suited for windows explorer but now it all makes a bit more sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment