Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Telnet

OK, so much for following my own advice. Did these tasks a while ago and typed them up on Word but haven't updated this space in a loooong time. I could make excuses, some valid, and some far fetched, depending on your stance on Extraterrestials, avocados, dodgy modems and Space/Time continuum but going to change that as of today and this week will post all the previous work and finally focus on this blog the way it deserves.


TASK A


First task at hand was to get stuck into Telnet and get into the Deakin Library catalogue.

I followed the Telnet install instructions for Vista found here and it was fairly straight forward. Telnet popped up and reminded me of the old MS Dos prompts that I used to have to use in order to install video games way back when.

I tried to type in the Library.deakin.edu.au command but just got back an error message. Upon further inspection of the vista help site, I typed in the ? symbol and an options menu popped up. I browsed the options available and took a stab at O = connect to host as it seemed the logical option. Luckily that seemed to be the correct guess and after typing Library.deakin.edu.au I was sent to the Deakin Library search menu.























From then on it was very straight forward, and I managed to get the search results emailed to my Curtin email account without any problem.







Reflections :
The whole process was fairly simple, Telnet seems to be a very simple application that is useful for tasks that don’t require fancy graphics, and installing it was no problem but it took me a couple of minutes of random command prompting to figure out how to bring the main options menu up. There was a certain sense of nostalgia and dread having to use the old black windowed command prompt, as it had been years since I last needed to use that kind of thing, and apart from installing games, I only ever used it if there was something wrong with my PC.

No comments:

Post a Comment